Grilled asparagus is the ingredient your salads have been missing!
Basil & mint dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh basil or mix of basil and mint
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, plus some zest
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, more as desired
- Sea salt and fresh black pepper
Spring greens salad:
- 1 bunch of grilled asparagus, chopped into 2″ pieces
- ½ cup fresh peas
- 3 cups +/- of mixed salad greens
- 1 whole grilled or broasted chicken, shredded (or may use chicken breasts if preferred)
- 1 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- 1 cup fresh seasonal berries
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped, toasted pistachios
- Handful of herbs: basil & mint
- 1/2 cup goat cheese crumbles (optional)
- Make the basil & mint dressing: In a food processor, pulse together the herbs, garlic, lemon juice and zest, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, and salt and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings. Set aside in jar.
Prepare the salad:
- First, grill asparagus. Toss spears with olive oil and grill for 3-4 minutes per side on stove top or gas grill. Then, allow to cool and chop asparagus into 2-inch pieces.
- Prepare peas: Blanch them for about 45 seconds in a pot of boiling, salted water. Remove immediately and transfer to a bowl of ice water. Let cool, then drain.
- In a large bowl toss together the asparagus, peas, salad greens, and radish slices.
- Transfer the salad to a platter or large serving bowl.
- Top with chicken, avocado slices, and fresh berries.
- Add as much of the dressing as you like and toss again. Add the pistachios and goat cheese, and additional chopped fresh herbs as desired.
Recipe by Dawn Palacios, RD, Registered Dietitian