Whether you’re planning a hike, picnic, or road trip – or simply always on-the-go – this Chili Maple Cheddar Cracker Snack Mix is just for you! Thanks Simple Mills for this Crunchy Munchie Snack!
Cook Time: 2-3 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
Yield: 5-6 cups
Ingredients for the chili maple pecans:
- 1 Tablespoon butter or coconut oil
- 1 c. raw, unsalted pecan halves
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup
- ¾ teaspoon chili powder
- Pinch salt
Ingredients for the snack mix:
- 1 batch chili maple pecans
- 1 box Simple Mills Farmhouse Cheddar and/or Simple Mills Smoky BBQ Cheddar crackers
- ½ cup chopped jerky (beef, turkey, etc)
- 2/3 cup chopped dried unsweetened and unsulfured apples
- ¼ cup golden raisins
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- Make the chili maple pecans: melt the butter or oil in a large heavy bottomed pan (such as cast iron) over medium high heat. Add the pecans and stir until they are coated with butter/oil. Then, add the maple syrup and stir for about 1 minute until the pecans are well-coated. Remove the pan from the heat, and sprinkle the pecans with chili powder and salt. Set aside to cool and harden.
- Once the pecans have cooled completely, remove them from the pan (and break them up if some have stuck together).
- Make the snack mix by gently tossing the pecans together with the crackers, jerky, apples, raisins and sunflower seeds until well combined.
- Reduce chili powder to ½ teaspoon, if you prefer a more subtle chili flavor.
- Make this nut free by eliminating the pecans, or replacing them with pumpkin seeds.
- Make this vegetarian or vegan by using vegan jerky.
- If you don’t plan to eat this snack mix within 48 hours of making it, use raw or roasted pecans instead of the chili maple pecans.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 48 hours (with chili maple pecans) or 1 week (with raw or roasted pecans).