Fast & Easy Game-Day Chili with Butternut Squash
Makes 8 main-course servings
- 2 tablespoons olive or coconut oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 ½ cups butternut squash cubes (fresh or frozen)
- 1-2 cans no-salt added black beans (optional)
- 1 cup frozen white corn kernels (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 large cans diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 small cans tomato paste
- 1 pound organic ground beef or turkey (if you are vegetarian, omit)
- 2 cups packed, coarsely chopped spinach, kale, arugula, or Swiss chard leaves
- In large pot over medium heat, heat oil. Stir in onions and garlic; sauté until tender and golden (about 9 minutes). Add in ground beef or turkey and brown.
- Add meat mixture along with all remaining ingredients, excpet chopped greens into large slow-cooker. Cover with lid, set it to low and go! Cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Stir in chard or spinach and cook 20-30 minutes more, or add on top of each bowl of chili. May also top with avocado slices, cheese, diced peppers, or your favorite toppings.